Due to the basic limitations of the winching system in Snowrunner, you can only attach to one point at a time. Generally, this means you cannot lift vehicles straight up, and putting vehicles on other vehicles or trailers ranges from 'mildly annoying' to 'I'll just drag the bloody thing'.
In real life, you have various tools and aids to lift vehicles with a crane or helicopter, with sling loading being a relatively simple and versatile variation. This mod aims to simulate sling loading, but because it's not actually sling loading, it has certain obvious issues you should keep in mind when using this:
- crane winch point is hovering above most trucks - this was done intentionally to improve balance whilst lifting
- visually the winch terminates as soon as it reaches the attachment point - this is the same for all points, it just isn't obvious when the point is properly attached to a vehicle
- load balancing on the fly is effectively impossible - I calibrated the trucks' points to be in the middle, but different attachments, or lack thereof, shift the centre of gravity
- trucks are heavy - a stronger crane mod is recommended if you wish to lift the medium and large trucks fully off of the ground
As this is a -manual only- mod, you cannot use the subscribe feature to properly instal it. At best, you'd get duplicates of all vehicles which you cannot recolour, but have the sling point. You can, however, click on it to get notified of updates.
1: back up your initial.pak to a different folder
2: download the zip and either use the default+slingloader files, or the manual entries method, depending on what's easiest for you
Default xmls+slingloader crane points
1: open up the initial.pak with winrar
2: copy the [media] folder from the mod zip into the initial.pak (this will overwrite the truck xml's in classes\trucks and the trailer xml's in classes\trucks\trailers)
3: close winrar - ready to play
Manual entries (ctrl+F to find specific entries)
1: open your modded truck xml's
2: insert the code lines from Pseudo_slingloader-manual.xml into their corresponding truck xml's. Ctrl+F CraneSocket and place the new lines together with the other <CraneSocket/> entries.
3: open your inital.pak and add the modified files
4: close winrar - ready to play
If you have mods you want to use alongside this one:
1: open the default+slingloader folder and delete the truck xml's you have another mod for
2: follow 'Manual entries' to update your modded vehicles with the sling loader point
- 2b: if you use mods like Realistic Steering, update one set of xml's with the values from the other mod(s).
3: add the modified files to your initial.pak
LactobasilusOG - Sockets for cranes (scout edition)(mod ID: 133859) - Snowrunner.mod.io
If you wish to incorporate my Slingloader points for trucks and trailers in your own mod for ease of use, feel free to do so. For the scout ones, contact LactobasilusOG.
- Added balanced crane-only winch point to all trucks
- Incorporated LactobasilusOG's scout winch points
- Documentation: chevrolet_ck1500.xml moved from TRUCKS to SCOUTS
- chevrolet_ck1500.xml socket position fixed
- Added balanced crane-only winch points to trailers, excluding the 4 special load mission trailers
- Added rear WinchSocket and CraneSocket entries for the Gooseneck Semi-trailer (4pt)
- Adjusted winch points on the following trucks
- Azov 5319
- Azov 64131
- Chevrolet Kodiak c70
- Dan 96320
- Derry Longhorn 3194
- Navistar5000mv (note: I don't have access to this vehicle so let me know if it's still unbalanced forwards or backwards)
- Pacific P12
- Step 310e
- Voron D53233
- Twin Steer
v1.2.1 (PTS only for now)
- Added balanced crane-only winch point to the DLC vehicles Ford F750, Tuz-16 'Actaeon', and Exploration radar scout trailer
- Included 'reactivated' F750 top engine in the default+slingloader files, under [media]\_dlc\dlc_1_1\classes\engines
- The engine's actual properties were in comment brackets, thus disabling it by default. The only changed value is 'UnlockByExploration="true" -> ="false" ', so you can actually use it (it will apparently come with Phase 1 part 2, found on Afrikanda). I recommend you use it, as the V6 is pathetically weak, and can't even get the vehicle with the crane installed up a shallow (in Snowrunner terms) incline.
- Yes, I'm aware it's a semi-unrealistic bandaid fix. Until the devs implement something like multi-point winching or lifting attachments, there isn't much freedom in this regard.
- If you feel the need for it, you could always add multiple winch points in a row, which would allow you to somewhat balance vehicles, by selecting a different lifting point. I didn't include this, as it wouldn't take much to become quite cluttered. Coordinates for positions go via (X forwards/-backwards; Y up/-down; Z left/-right).
- It's a CraneSocket type connection, so you can only connect to it via cranes, not normal vehicle winch points. However, any of the cranes work, which includes the big red US crane, the big yellow Russian crane, the yellow US minicrane, as well as the blue Russian minicrane.
- Let me know in the comments if there's a vehicle with a Slingloader CraneSocket too far offset and unbalanced, instead of towards the middle.
- If you like using the semi-trailer 4pt gooseneck, and find the lack of rear winch points distubing, I also added a pair of Winch- and CraneSockets to the rear. Code lines included in the Pseudo_slingloader-manual.xml file, as well as the default+slingloader xml's.