Ok I know Twinsteer tweaks have been done to death and I am really hesitant to release my own but I will just throw it out there and hope it can make some people happy.
My reason to create my own truck despite there already being so many tweaks is simple. Some are too OP without enough choices to turn it down, others have annoying clipping issues either with wheels or addons and yet others simply handle horrible (in my opinion).
My short list was simple: A 6900XD that is able to carry long logs on it's bed, have a trailer hitch, be nice to drive without being overly OP (or at least give decent choice to level of OPness) and to reduce clipping issues to a minimum.
What I ended up doing is splitting the truck in two versions
The first version uses heavy double wheels and does not have rear steering. Steering angle slightly nerfed from vanilla to 38° and 30°, mostly to prevent clipping or other issues.
The second version uses heavy single wheels and has rear steer like the Phoenix, meaning that both rear wheels turn at different rates. Yes a rear steer WS6900 is already unrealistic but even more unrealistic are those mods that make the rear wheels turn at the same rate. For those interested steering angles in order front to back 36°, 27°, -9°, -12°
I split the trucks up because there are people that like the rear steer and there are people that don't like it, so hopefully having two trucks means everyone is happy. There are only a handful of single tires on the truck without rear steer. This is because I blocked myself out from using a certain argument to control wheel offsets. Not having acces to this argument also means having duallies on the truck with rear steering would definitely clip (although even if they didn't clip they would stand out like a sore thumb and I don't like it)
Changes to both trucks:
- Tweaked engines and added a few more engines. The first 3 are basically the stock engines, 2 more are vanilla+ continuing the same 25K torque steps. The 6th engine makes a massive jump and sits at 400K torque. (stock max = 250K torque, strongest vanilla engine is 260K torque)
- Tweaked the gearboxes and added some options.
- Tweaked the suspensions and added active suspension as well. Quite a bit of work went into this, I wanted to have seperate suspension settings for each of the 4 axles. It works but it does block me out from using "Rearoffset" argument. So that is the reason why the truck without rear steer only has a handfull of single wheels.
- Added a lot of wheel and rim choices and tweaked some wheels. Max wheel size turned down to 60", 63"was pretty ridiculous in my opinion. Added custom wheels by Iceberg101 A lot of thanks for letting me use them!
- Tweaked the winches and added offline winches (winch length available is 20m or 30m)
- Added Ford CLT9000 "bumper" including hitch. Latest update made the "bouncing" seperate from the rest of the truck a lot less!
- Added Long log addons to enable the carrying of long logs on the back of the truck. Trailer hitch is still available but trailers with a short drawbar will not be able to turn.
- Added both short and medium logs using the Cat log bunk and added a logging crane to go with it.
- Added a crane platform on the back + a choice of US, RU and a logging crane which can be mounted on it (US minicrane has more reach but trailers can hit anchors on backing up, RU minicrane has less reach but no issue with anchors. Unpacked cargo on the last slot will float, the collisions mesh of the repurposed cabin protector is bigger then the model that is hidden inside the frame. I can't fix that, if you don't like it just don't use the platform :)
- Increased fuel tank capacity to 440L (stock is 360L)
- Added Kolob horns and ct861 rooflights
- Added an option to take a few extra repairpoints or fuel. Those boxes under the truck are a shame to stay unused.
I am against adding any other frame addons and it would mess with console approval since there isn't really a way to tell the game to stop being able to pack cargo on places that are occupied. If I would put a crane on the truck you'd be able to pack cargo inside the crane. I have not found an elegant solution to counter this problem. If you do know of a solution drop me a message.
Warning! Changing addons using devtools when there is cargo on the truck, can and will crash your game.
Huge thanks to both Bartelbi and dev Pavel for helping me sort out some problems and Bartelbi for letting me use his wheel/rim combo's.
This truck already came a long way to becoming more versatile but if you are looking for a true "Swiss army knife" or just another truck that can also carry long logs without trailer check out: Snowrunner.mod.io
As always constructive criticism is very welcome. Hope people can enjoy this tweak!
Issues or comments? please direct message me or tag me using @thieme1989 in the comments! Else I might miss your message